The South African Breweries (SAB) Sports Media Awards 2018 has opened for entries.
Currently in its 38th year, the awards recognises and applauds members of the media who excel in reporting South African sport, across written, digital, photography, video and audio.
“For close to four decades, SAB has been committed to promoting and recognising excellence in the reporting of sport in South Africa,” says Robyn Chalmers, Director Communications: AB InBev Africa and SAB.
“Over the years, the awards have evolved to meet the evolution of the channels through which media report, as well as to keep in line with best global practice – by listening in earnest to the feedback received from the sports media, past judges, entrants and winners. This winning combination has seen the awards grown year on year,” said Chalmers.
The categories for the SAB Sports Media Awards 2018 are:
- Audio Media Award (Radio and online)
- Digital Media Award
- Photography Award (Print and online)
- Video Media Award (Television and online)
- Written Media Award (Print and online)
- The Newcomer of the Year (sports journalists with less than two years’ experience in the industry)
- Sports Media Hall of Fame (media who have made a significant contribution to sports journalism for over 20 years).
- Sports Journalists’ Journalist of the Year (media peer recognition award)
All main category winners receive a cash prize of R15,000 with the winner of the Photography sub-category “Action Shot of the Year” receiving R5,000.
The awards will also induct a deserving candidate into the SAB Sports Hall of Fame and acknowledge the Sports Journalists’ Journalist of the Year.
Entry requirements and details
Entrants for the SAB Sports Media Awards have six weeks to consolidate material and submit via the online portal.
- Entries opened today and close on Friday, 05 October 2018 at 17h00.
- Entrants are to submit work published between 01 October 2017 and 30 September 2018.
- For information and submissions, go to www.sabsportsmedia.co.za.
- Entrants need to register to enter the SAB Sports Media Awards and nominate a media peer for the Sports Journalists’ Journalist of the Year to compete their entry.
Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony on Tuesday, 27 November 2018.