Agrizzi, Voster Accused Of ‘Willfully’ Misleading Zondo Commission
Attorneys representing former Armscor CEO Kevin Wakeford have accused former Bosasa bosses Angelo Agrizzi and Frans Voster of willfully misleading the state capture commission. The pair accused Wakeford of corruption when they lifted the veil on the misdeeds of the company with government officials. Although Wakeford was meant to cross-examine Agrizzi and Voster on Wednesday, proceedings were postponed on their request over lack of access to supplementary evidence.
National Treasury Sets Out Tough Conditions For Eskom’s R59 Billion Bailout
National Treasury has spelled out a raft of conditions that Eskom must meet in terms of the Special Appropriation Bill. The bill provides for the ailing power utility to receive R26 billion for the rest of this year and R33 billion for the next financial year. Treasury officials briefed a joint meeting of Parliament’s appropriations committees on the bailout on Wednesday. National Treasury said that the R59 billion that Eskom was set to receive under the Special Appropriation Bill may be used to settle its debt and interest payments and nothing else.
Dudu Myeni Accused Of Playing Games After Missing Court Twice
Former South African Airways (SAA) board chairperson Dudu Myeni is being accused of playing games for claiming she does not have money to attend a court case against her and pay for legal fees. Myeni missed court for the second time in Pretoria on Tuesday where an application was scheduled to be heard to have her declared a delinquent director. She claimed she had no money to travel from KwaZulu-Natal.
More Troubles For Mkhwebane As She Faces Another Legal battle
Yet another battlefront has been opened up against the Public Protector as the former head of the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) Robert McBride and seven others, including the watchdog body’s head of investigations Matthew Sesoko, take one of Busisiwe Mkhwebane’s reports on review. Mkhwebane released a report last week which found an Ipid deputy director was irregularly appointed and a whistleblower was unfairly suspended. Two weeks ago, Sesoko told the state capture commission that he believed that the Public Protector’s office has been weaponised.
Durban Man Accused Of Hanging His 4 Children Receives Additional Rape Charge
A charge of rape has officially been added in the case of the Durban man accused of murdering his four children including his 16-year-old stepdaughter. The man appeared in the Pinetown Magistrates Court on Wednesday morning and the matter was postponed to November. The investigation into his case is continuing. The National Prosecuting Authority’s Natasha Kara said: “The previous remand was the for the accused to acquire legal representation. The matter was today adjourned for 7 November.”
Case Against Sebokeng Pupil Accused Of Murder Provisionally Withdrawn
The State has provisionally withdrawn the case against a 15-year-old boy accused of killing his classmate in Sebokeng. The teenager made a brief appearance in the Sebokeng Magistrates Court on Tuesday. He was accused of stabbing his classmate with a pair of scissors on Monday at the Thuto-Tiro Comprehensive School. The boy’s case was heard in camera because he’s a minor.
Third Suspect Still On The Run After Cresta Shopping Mall Robbery
Police are still searching for a third person in connection with a robbery at the Cresta shopping centre. One suspect was shot and killed, while another was arrested on the N1 highway near Soweto on Tuesday. The group robbed a Dion Wired store at Cresta mall and made off with electronics. Police spokesperson Mathapelo Peters said a gun was recovered from one of the getaway cars and would be tested to see if it can be linked to other crimes.
Deputy PP Calls For Return Of Quality Control Mechanisms At The Institution
Outgoing Deputy Public Protector Kevin Malunga said on Tuesday he was taken aback by the court rulings against the office and called for quality assurance mechanisms to be brought back at the Chapter Nine institution. Malunga has been serving in this position since December 2012 – first under Thuli Madonsela and now under Busisiwe Mkhwebane. The Public Protector’s office has been in the spotlight, particularly in the past year, because of some high-profile cases that Mkhwebane has dealt with or lost. Malunga said when Mkhwebane arrived, she made some changes to the system.
How McBride Handled Ipid Cases Being Closed Prematurely
Former Ipid head Robert McBride said on Tuesday that once he was made aware of cases being prematurely completed by pressured investigators, he made strides to stop this practice. McBride has now admitted that he was aware of this practice from as far back as 2014 and not just when he was suspended. Investigative unit Viewfinder has made documents available to Eyewitness News in which a paper trail of reports by the Public Protector’s office and Ip
What To Look Out For
Zuma Expected To Know Friday If Corruption Case Will Be Dismissed
Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to know on Friday if his corruption case will be dismissed by the KwaZulu-Natal High Court in Pietermaritzburg. This after the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) confirmed on Wednesday that the judgment for Zuma’s application for a stay of prosecution would be delivered. Earlier this year, the former president – who faces charges of corruption, money laundering and racketeering related to the multi-billion-rand Arms Deal – argued in court why he wanted his case to be struck off the roll.
Old Mutual Confident Of Overturning Ruling In Peter Moyo’s Reinstatement
Old Mutual believes it has a chance of overturning the ruling that its axed former CEO Peter Moyo must return to work. The company also filed papers at the Johannesburg High Court on Tuesday, denying that it was in contempt of court by barring Moyo from resuming his duties. Moyo and his former employer are currently locked in a protracted legal battle, with Moyo suing the group for R250 million for refusing to let him go back to work. But Old Mutual said it was within its rights to fire Moyo.
David Makhura Expected To Reshuffle Cabinet In Compliance With ANC Gender Policy
Gauteng Premier David Makhura is expected to axe a male member of the executive council (MEC) on Friday in compliance with the African National Congress (ANC)’s gender policy. The party’s spokesperson Dakota Legoete said on Wednesday that Makhura would finally act after the ANC’s national executive committee (NEC) decided that one male MEC should go. According to ANC policy, if there is a male premier in a province where the party governed, there should a 60% female MEC representation. Makhura had a 50:50 gender parity.