Police Confirm 12 People Dead As Result Of Xenophobia Attacks
The police have confirmed that 12 people have been killed during the recent outbreak of xenophobic violence in the country. Police Minister Bheki Cele, however, said that this number could change once investigations into the conditions under which they died were concluded. The minister also said that a total of 639 people had been arrested for various offenses over the last few weeks that the looting and violence had occurred.
Foreign Business Owners Call On Government To Halt Xenophobic Attacks
Foreign business owners whose shops have been destroyed say they’ve had enough and want the government to do something about the violence. More shops were vandalised on Sunday in and around the Joburg CBD. Two people were also killed in separate incidents in Malvern and Hillbrow. Attempts by former IFP leader Mangosuthu Buthelezi to ease tensions failed yesterday when a group of hostel residents he had been addressing abandoned the meeting.
CoJ Cuts Off Water At Sandton Gautrain Station Over Non-payment
The City of Johannesburg (CoJ) has cut off the water supply to Sandton Gautrain Station after the landlord racked up a bill of over R8 million with the municipality. According to the city, the owner Cedar Park Properties didn’t pay for municipal rates since 2013 except for a R600,000 payment last year. The City of Joburg’s Finance MMC Funzela Ngobeni said the municipality was in contact with Cedar Park Properties to find a lasting solution.
Ben Ngubane Tells Zondo Inquiry He Had Limited Relationship With Guptas
Former South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) board chairperson Ben Ngubane on Monday said he had a very limited relationship with the Gupta family and encountered them on only a few occasions. Ngubane made this submission at the state capture commission of inquiry, where he was testifying about his tenure at the public broadcaster. He joined the SABC in December 2009 and left in March 2013. Ngubane was asked what links, if any, he had with the Guptas.
Police Hunt Suspects After Missing Limpopo Girl (11) Found Dead
Limpopo police have launched a manhunt for the killer of an 11-year-old girl in Groblersdal. The young girl was reported missing on Thursday after she failed to return home from school. Her body was discovered the following day in the bush near Ga-Marishane village. Police spokesperson Colonel Moatshe Ngoepe said: “The missing person incident was reported to the police and a search operation ensued until her lifeless body was found in the bushes outside Ga-Marishane village. Anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of the suspect (s) involved in the murder should contact the crime stop number 086-00-10111.”
ANCWL Leads Anti-femicide Protest In CT
A fresh murder case has seen further anti-femicide demonstrations in Cape Town. Members of the African National Congress Women’s League handed over a memorandum of demands at the Khayelitsha Magistrate’s Court. They’re calling for urgent and drastic action. A small group of ANCWL members gathered at the entrance of the Khayelitsha courthouse. They held up posters which read, ‘Not in My Name’ and ‘No Means No’.
Still No Arrests Made For Murders Of Jesse Hess, Grandfather
The family of two people murdered in Parow, Cape Town, is appealing for help in trying to crack the case. It’s been more than a week after 19-year-old Jesse Hess and her grandfather were killed at their Parow home, but no arrests have been made. The teenager was laid to rest in Cape Town over the weekend. Her 85-year-old grandfather, Chris Lategan, will be buried this weekend. Her aunt Sandy Hess said the family was shattered.
Mpumalanga Mother Found Guilty Of Murdering Her Four Children
A Mpumalanga mother accused of the murder of her four children on Monday was found guilty of premeditated murder for poisoning her four children with rat poison. Zinhle Maditla pleaded guilty to four charges of murder at the Middelburg High Court. Maditla was accused of killing her children using rat poison in Klarinet, Mpumalanga. She handed herself over to the police on 30 December last year after the decomposing bodies of her four children were discovered inside her house in Klarinet. Her children were two girls, aged four and eight. She also had two boys, aged seven and 11 months.
WCED Raises Concerns As N2 Protest Affect Schooling In Nomzamo
A protest in the Nomzamo area could impact schools. The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) said schools were open but some pupils appeared to have stayed away. This was due to the protest on the N2 in the Somerset West area on Monday morning. Nomzamo Primary and the high schools in the area were among schools affected. The WCED’s Jessica Shelver said the department was aware of the situation.
Probe Into Julius Malema Lifestyle Suggests Links To Stolen VBS Millions
A new spotlight has been cast on Economic Freedom Fighters leader Julius Malema’s lifestyle after fresh revelations suggest it’s being bankrolled by millions of rand siphoned off from the collapsed VBS Mutual Bank. Daily Maverick’s investigative unit Scorpio is today reporting how more than R5 million was channeled from VBS into an account the red beret leader allegedly used as a slush fund. The Reserve Bank placed VBS under curatorship in March last year, while several of the bank’s former directors have recently been sequestrated.
What To Look Out For
Xenophobic Violence Negatively Impacting On Investor Sentiment – Sacci
Organised business said that xenophobic violence in South Africa had a negative impact on investor sentiment, which had already been lagging in recent years. The South African Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Sacci) met with Police Minister Bheki Cele and senior members of the police service on Monday. They discussed the attacks on properties owned by foreign nationals. MTN Group CEO Rob Shuter said even though the company faced disruptions in other markets including Nigeria, where retaliatory attacks were carried out, their biggest worry was how the developments were viewed by shareholders.
State Drops Kidnapping Charge In Dros Rape Case
The State has withdrawn the kidnapping charge against the 22-year-old man accused of raping a seven-year-old girl at a Dros restaurant in Pretoria. The trial against Nicholas Ninow began on Monday and he was facing a range of charges including kidnapping, assault and defeating the ends of justice. Ninow pleaded guilty to rape charges, possession of drugs and defeating the ends of justice.
Peter Moyo Heads Back To Old Mutual After Court Rules His Reinstatement
Fired Old Mutual CEO Peter Moyo is going back to work on Monday after the High Court in Johannesburg ruled again that he should be reinstated. Following the first similar court judgment, the company barred Moyo from entering the premises in Sandton. The insurer later issued a second notice informing shareholders that he was terminated. Moyo and Old Mutual are embroiled in a legal tussle over his alleged conflict of interest regarding his company, NMT Capital.