Sadia Sukhraj
Nine-year-old Sadia Sukhraj. Picture: Supplied

A man accused of killing nine-year-old Sadia Sukhraj during a hijacking in Chatsworth south of Durban last year, is expected to appear in the Durban High Court on Monday.

Seni Mkhize, 35, faces two counts of murder for the deaths of 9-year-old Sadia and his alleged accomplice, Siyabonga Bulose.

Sadia was shot dead during a shootout between her father Shailendra Sukhraj and the hijackers. The father was dropping off his children on a school day when they were hijacked outside a family home by two men.

Sukharaj became the first witness when the trial began a few weeks ago. He said the suspects demanded key to his vehicle while his daughter was in the back seat of the car. He told the court he gave the hijackers the keys and retreated back to the house, where he pulled out his gun and fired about 15 shots.

Sukharaj has told the court he wanted to halt the hijackers so they can leave his daughter with him as they reversed out of the driveway. Bulose was fatally wounded during the incident.

Sadia would have turned 10 on February 25.